Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Guillaume de Machaut Foy Porter, Honneur Garder

Foy porter, honneur garderI want to stay faithful, guard your honor,
Et pais querir, oubeirSeek peace, obey
Doubter, servir, et honnourerFear, serve and honor you,
Vous vueil jusques au morirUntil death,
Dame sans per.Peerless Lady.
I.
Car tant vous aim, sans mentirFor I love you so much, truly,
Qu'on poroit avant tarirthat one could could sooner dry up
La haute merthe deep sea
Et ses ondes retenirand hold back its waves
Que me peusse alentirthan I could constrain myself
de vous amer.from loving you,
Sans fausser; car mi penser,without falsehood; for my thoughts
Mi souvenir, mi plaisirmy memories, my pleasures
Et mi desir sont sans finerand my desires are perpetually
En vous que ne puis guerpir n'entroublierof you, whom I cannot leave or even briefly forget.
II.
Il ne'est joie ne joirThere is no joy or pleasure
N'autre bien qu'on puist sentiror any other good that one could feel
N'imagineror imagine which does not seem to me worthless
Qui ne me samble languir,whenever your sweetness wants to sweeten my bitterness.
Quant vo douceur adoucir vuet mon amer:Therefore I want to praise
Dont loer et aourerand adore and fear you,
Et vous cremier, tout souffrir,suffer everything,
Tout conjoir, Tout endurerexperience everything, endure everything
Vueil plus que je ne desir Guerredonner.more than I desire any reward.
Foy porter . . .I want to stay faithful . . .
III.
Vous estes le vray saphirYou are the true sapphire
Qui puet tous mes maus garir et terminer.that can heal and end all my sufferings,
Esmeraude a resjoir,the emerald which brings rejoicing,
Rubis pour cuers esclarcir et conforter.the ruby to brighten and comfort the heart.
Vo parler, vo regarder,Your speech, your looks,
Vo maintenir, font fuir et enhair et despiterYour bearing, make one flee and hate and detest
Tout vice et tout bien cherir et desirerall vice and cherish and desire all that is good.
Foy porter .

I want to stay faithful. . .

Guillaume de Machaut 

No comments: